|By: Sha - at February 21, 2013
Home Security Tips to Protect Your Home from Burglaries
Home Security Tips
Most people these days are more concerned about security worries than ever. Home
security is one of the top priorities for many people. There is cutting edge
technology many people use to protect their home from burglars, thieves and
robbers. If you do not want to spend a lot of money you can still easily ensure
the best safety measures for your home by employing some simple security
precautions. This article will discuss some simple but very effective home
security measures alongside some modern security systems people use to protect
You can effectively enhance the security of your home by
employing some simple and basic techniques. Keep all the doors well secured by
having high quality deadbolt locks. Your home alarm system needs to be in good
working condition. Make sure the doors and windows of your home are protected
with high quality locks and if possible an alarm system. You can spend less to
protect your home from burglaries by applying some essential basic security
What you need to understand is although it is difficult to protect your home
from professional thieves or burglars; you can thwart any burglary attempted by
amateur thieves by following some basic security checks. These are the
techniques you can employ easily to protect your home:
Essential Basic Home Security Tips
Try to discover any weakness in your security system that may have been
prevailing in your house by burglarizing yourself.
- Check all the locks every few weeks or months to find out if they are in
- Always lock up your home even when you are going out for a short time.
Never leave the home behind you unprotected.
- If you have moved in a new house or flat, make sure to change all the
- Hide the wiring if you are using an alarm system. If the wiring is
exposed to the burglars they can disconnect the security system.
- To discourage the thieves, you should always make your house appear
occupied at all times by using timers to switch lights, etc on and off when
you are not at home.
- Many people have faulty alarms that go off periodically which do not
serve any warning to their neighbors. That is why if you have a faulty alarm
then get it fixed or replaced by a new one immediately and inform your
neighbors that your home alarm system is working.
- Use a deadbolt lock to secure your home doors. Make sure you do not
leave space between the doors and their frames when installing it so that
the intruders cannot get space to use power tools, etc to unlock the doors.
- Do not hide your spare keys in places easily predictable by burglars. If
you need to hide a spare key then wrap the key in foil and burry it in a
place you can remember easily when you need it.
- If you lose any key then change the lock immediately.
If you have a professional house cleaner coming to your house then make
sure that the person is very honest, reliable and reputable by checking all
the necessary references before you turn your house keys over to the person.
- The entrances to your home should be served by sufficient light so that
thieves cannot get in a door from the fear of being observed while doing so
under light. You can use an infrared detector when installing lighting.
- Have good relations with your neighbors and talk to them about any
suspicious people you notice lurking about around.
- Many people have sales and customer services people to visit them at
home. You should be very careful about this matter as many professional
thieves and burglars can use this cover to check out your home. If any sales
or customer services person requests or seeks entry to your home ask them to
push their ID under the door. If you are still doubtful, deny entry politely
or check with the personís office to be sure if you are letting in the right
- You should keep the windows or shrubbery free from any hindrance like a
tree, etc so that they cannot shield a burglar.
- You may be asked by someone at your door to let them use your phone to
call the police, a plumber or a mechanic. You should tell them that you will
make the call yourself keeping the door locked.
- One of the best deterrents for burglaries are dogs. Burglars do not like
dogs as they make noise and burglars do not want to be noticed due to the
attention caused by the noise. Keeping even a small pet dog will discourage
burglars to enter your home.
Advanced Home Security Tips
Use high quality surveillance video cameras or CCTVs on all sides of
your home. Put up sign posts outside your house telling people that your
home is protected by home security system.
- Install high quality deadbolt locks on all exterior doors of your home
to burglar-proof your home. Use metal doors securing with high quality
- Use metal bar in the middle bottom track of the doors slides to enhance
- Use motion detectors for the entrances, backyard, driveway and other
regions outside your home so that the lights come on when someone
approaches. If you have the lights activated by motion detectors instead of
having the lights being left on at all times, your neighbors will be more
concerned when someone is moving around your house.
- Use burglar-resistant glass to protect your windows. Instead of using
one large piece of glass, use many small panes on all windows.
- Choose a home security system that uses electronic keypad to access in.
- Use glass-break sensors that set off the home security alarm when a
sound is made while a burglar trying to break a window or glass door panel.
You should use a professional plumbing technician when fixing, replacing or
installing keys, locks, alarm system etc home security tools or equipment.
Always use high quality locks, and other security appliances. You can boost home
security and help keep your family safe by following the above mentioned things.
One of the best ways to protect your home is having good relationship with your
neighbors. Talk to them and get to the point that they can look out for one
another. Make sure your home security system involves three key things which are
locks, lights and alarms. Consider using extra and advanced home security
systems according to your security needs. Nothing can be sweeter than a safe
Home Security Tips to Protect Your Home from Burglaries